[oe] [RFC] policy proposal: INC_PR

Dmitry Eremin-Solenikov dbaryshkov at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 19:04:16 UTC 2011

Hello, colleagues,

While debugging some stuff in oe-core & company I've noticed that
lot's of packages
either don't use INC_PR, or misuse it (e.g. .inc has INC_PR, but then
.bb just defines PR = "rX").

>From my previous experience with oe-dev, I found INC_PR very usefull
and error-prone feature.
What about making usage of INC_PR a policy decision, demanding that
all new packages should use INC_PR for their recipes, if .inc files
are used. And then define a grace period
during which all remaining packages should be converted to INC_PR (3
months? Next release? I really don't know).

I'm sorry if this issue was already discussed somewhere and I'm
duplicating the efforts
or proposing already discarded idea.

--
With best wishes