[oe] Is boa still a decent choice for an embedded web server?

Bob Cochran openembedded at mindchasers.com
Mon Apr 2 21:45:48 UTC 2012

*** apologies: I accidentally sent this out the first time on the wrong
OE (commits) list ****

Hello Group,

I would appreciate any thoughts about the relevancy & security of boa
for an embedded system that needs to support up to several active web
requests at a time.

The code is getting old and some of the system calls are deprecated or
obsolete (e.g., gethostbyname()).

Apache appears to be overkill for what we're doing.

Ultimately, our web server won't just serve static pages but also serve
a low volume of python / django pages, too.  I realize that CGI
performance with boa is bad, but it seems that there are options to
increase performance over simply exec'ing the python scripts.

Thanks,

Bob