[oe] meta-linaro and toolchain-layer

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 06:41:31 UTC 2012

On Sat, Apr 07, 2012 at 02:08:38PM -0700, Khem Raj wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Ken Werner @ Linaro has created a meta-linaro layer. I have created a
> github repo of same here https://github.com/kraj/meta-linaro
>
> Moving forward soon gcc 4.7 will land in OE-Core and 4.6 will be
> more or less retired. In natural progression it would move to
> toolchain-layer if there are consumers of it.
>
> linaro is also working on gcc-4.7 improvements in  same manner as
> 4.6  and there could be more tools e.g. gdb binutils etc. that could
> be useful for armv7+ from that layer.
>
> I would like to propose few things we could do.
>
> Use gcc-4.6 from meta-linaro and retire it from toolchain-layer
> which means toolchain layer only has gcc-4.5 and eventually
> This also means that we don't move gcc-4.6 into toolchain-layer
> when its relegated from OE-Core

I haven't tried gcc-4.7 on my armv4t machines yet, because I fear
similar issues like with binutils gold (which are still not resolved),
because nobody uses armv4t much nowadays :/.

The same I fear from 4.6 from meta-linaro, but maybe they will be
responsive as you were, when I reported issues on armv4t with some new
patch added by linaro..

So using meta-linaro for gcc-4.6 and gcc-4.7 is fine, but please keep
current "snapshot" of gcc-4.6 (oe-core+toolchain-layer patches)
somewhere as safe version before meta-linaro 4.6 is well tested on all
devices.

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com