[oe] meta-linaro and toolchain-layer

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 22:48:26 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 11:41 PM, Martin Jansa <martin.jansa at gmail.com> wrote:

> I haven't tried gcc-4.7 on my armv4t machines yet, because I fear
> similar issues like with binutils gold (which are still not resolved),
> because nobody uses armv4t much nowadays :/.

yes I have tried qemuarm/armv4t build along with qemuarm/armv5t build
as a test on 4.7
it boots systemd-image fine. But I would expect others to chime in and
provide some
testing help on their platforms/machines, I am still actively fixing
and rebasing
the 4.7 patches so expect a bit of churn there

> The same I fear from 4.6 from meta-linaro, but maybe they will be
> responsive as you were, when I reported issues on armv4t with some new
> patch added by linaro..

I will make sure that happens and I will be maintaining the layer at
above location
and see how the interaction goes and will help in maintaining the layer

> So using meta-linaro for gcc-4.6 and gcc-4.7 is fine, but please keep
> current "snapshot" of gcc-4.6 (oe-core+toolchain-layer patches)
> somewhere as safe version before meta-linaro 4.6 is well tested on all
> devices.

yes essentially we can recover is any time and in worst case I have to maintain
meta-linaro in which case we can merge both into one and maintain it
but I will actively
seek linaro's help in maintaining the layer.