[oe] [meta-openembedded/toolchain-layer] Adding retired toolchain support for gcc-4.5.1 and eglibc-2.13

Elvis Dowson elvis.dowson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 10:08:53 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Aug 14, 2012, at 1:55 PM, Koen Kooi wrote:

> Op 13-08-12 22:28, Elvis Dowson schreef:
>> Hi, I've created a set of patches to add retired toolchain support for
>> gcc-4.5.1, to the meta-openembedded/toolchain-layer.
>
> Given that  4.5.x was deleted from meta-toolchain 3 months ago[1], what's
> the rationale for adding it back? It's still available in the denzil branch,
> so unless someone steps up to maintain it I'm inclined to say "no" to
> patches bringing it back in the master branch.

The gcc-4.5 recipe was adapted from the gcc-4.5.1 recipe from the denzil branch.

The structure of the newer gcc-4.7 recipes in the current poky/master branch are
a bit different from the older recipes in the denzil branch. So, while developing
the gcc-4.5 recipes, I started with the existing gcc-4.7 templates, and looked at the
gcc-4.6 recipes in the current meta-openembedded/toolchain-layer and
incorporated all the patches for gcc-4.5.1 from the denzil branch. This way the
gcc-4.5 recipe would be compatible with builds against the current poky/master
branch, and take advantage of all the newer recipe versions, in the current
poky/master branch, while maintaining legacy support for the gcc-4.5.1 toolchain.

The problem I ran into was with support for soft-float on the PowerPC440 processor.

If I can isolate the issue, and get it to work with gcc-4.6 or gcc-4.7, there is no need
to add legacy gcc-4.5 toolchain support to the toolchain-layer.

If not, then it would be required to maintain support, atleast for PowerPC 440 targets
with soft-float.

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson