[oe] RFC: One X Server To Rule Them All

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Wed Aug 22 15:15:47 UTC 2012

On 17 August 2012 13:12, Burton, Ross <ross.burton at intel.com> wrote:
> 1) Investigate differences between xorg/xorg-lite/kdrive, producing a
> feature matrix and binary size comparison

Some rough numbers: a core-image-sato rootfs for RouterStation Pro
using kdrive is 25959477 bytes.  Change kdrive to Xorg (Xfbdev and a
few important modules) and it grows to 26342094 bytes, approximately
380kb growth.

It appears that we're also shipping libexa in the core server package,
when I think that can be split into a separate package as fbdev isn't
using it.  That will give us another 90kb back.

I'm happy with this size increase as a trade-off for using an X server
that is actually maintained.

Ross