[oe] [OE-core] Bitbake distro packages: kill them with fire

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 13:07:31 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 02:49:53PM +0200, Koen Kooi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> These might not be the appropiate lists, but I might reach a few of the culprits. Over the years people have been doing 'apt get install bitbake' or 'make install' to put bitbake into /usr/bin and after a few minutes to get on irc/email/etc to complain that everything is suddenly broken. There are checks for bitbake versions in the metadata, but it can (and will!) still break with due to python path nastiness.
>
> So to every person packaging bitbake for their distro: stop doing that!
>
> If someone has a better suggestion to avoid this problem (more documentation doesn't work), please speak up.

I was using bitbake from Gentoo for long time (they provide also live
ebuilds) and it worked fine. I was using packaged version mostly to
control which version gets installed to shr-chroot (sometimes with extra
patches, sometimes holding on older version until shr metadata were
compatible).

Now I switched back to bitbake checkout with revision locked by setup
scripts to make life easier for people using my setup scripts but
without shr-chroot option.

So I don't mind if people stop doing bitbake packages :).

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com