[oe] New meta-xen layer

Raymond Danks ray.danks at se-eng.com
Mon Dec 3 16:39:37 UTC 2012

On 06/23/2012 04:33 AM, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> On Friday 22 June 2012 17:04:34 Khem Raj wrote:
>> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 2:12 PM, Raymond Danks <ray.danks at se-eng.com> wrote:
>>> I have constructed a layer for the purpose of building Xen in
>>> OpenEmbedded.
>>>   Xen is a hypervisor and associated tools running on Linux available as a
>>> package in distributions such as Ubuntu and Fedora.  It is also modified
>>> and included in the rpm-based Xen Cloud Platform distribution and Citrix
>>> XenServer.
>>>
>>> This layer currently includes recipes and recipe modifications for
>>> building
>>> xen, libvirt, and a minimal xen image that may be used for launching
>>> virtual machines via the xl command line interface.  This currently
>>> targets the x86 Xen host (OE target) architecture; development has been
>>> done entirely on x86_64.
>>>
>>> I'm open to receiving feedback, patches and suggestions.  Also, I'm
>>> curious
>>> if this layer may be published to the OpenEmbedded layer index and by what
>>> process that should be achieved?
>> thanks for doing it and publishing it for community.
>> looks pretty good from very quick look at the content
>>
>>   recipes-core/initscripts/ has .swp file committed.
>> NATIVE_INSTALL_WORKS is probably not needed in recipes
>> use oe_runmake instead of ${MAKE}
>> in some recipes you cache ac_cv_* vars you could use
>> CACHED_CONFIGUREVARS variable to contain them all instead of putting
>> them into EXTRA_OECONF
>>
>> One think I am not sure is of is distro/minimal.conf in there. I dont
>> know if you want to have your own distro or not if you do it would be
>> nice to separate that out that way other distros can also use this
>> layer if they want to.
> FWIW, I'd agree with the suggested cleanups.
>
>> As long as you maintain the layer in good shape and in alignment with
>> other layers you depend on its should be fine and please add the entry
>> into LayerIndex on wiki
> I've just added the layer to the LayerIndex page. Thanks!
>
> Cheers,
> Paul

Hey Paul,

Would you mind to make another change to the LayerIndex page?  This
layer has moved over to Yocto servers and has been renamed/merged to
meta-virtualization:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.handhelds.openembedded.core/30003

meta-virtualization|Layer enabling hypervisor, virtualization tool
stack, and cloud
support.||git://git.yoctoproject.org/meta-virtualization|http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-virtualization/

Thanks,
Ray