[oe] oe-core 2.6 kernel support

Marco koansoftware at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 16:19:25 UTC 2012

Hi,
after a lot of time spent trying to create my own oe-core BSP based on
old recipes I have been using in oe-classic, I found that there is any
BSP working with oe-core and using old kernels (< 3.0).

Probably for most of you this is obsolete and irrelevant topic because
everybody is focused on new CPUs (> Armv5)

I avoid to discuss what I tried in older to create an oe-core/yocto BSP
(using 2.6.30)  and I will focus on an example that anyone can easily
verify.

Paul had kindly pointed me to the meta-handheld stuff so I tried oe-core
+ meta-handheld and I built:
  akita -> ok (3.2.32-git)
  hx4700 -> ok (3.0.1)
  h3600 -> fails (2.6.29)

I wonder if it could be a gcc (4.7.2) issue with older kernels and
moreover if anybody experienced this or has successfully built something
with old kernels.

Any hint would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
--