[oe] [meta-oe][RFC 00/27] systemd / initmanager rework

Otavio Salvador otavio at ossystems.com.br
Tue Feb 7 15:55:24 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 13:12, Andreas Müller
<schnitzeltony at googlemail.com>wrote:

> * These are my first python experiences - suggestions welcome.
> * In local.conf (or in distro) the configuration variable INIT_MANAGER
> selects
>  the initmanager to be build into an image. When changing the selection,
>  a build from scratch is required. INIT_MANAGER currently defaults to
> systemd
>  (see image.bbclass and initmanager.bbclass)
> * In systemd.bbclass debug messages were left in to have a better overview
>  what's going on.
> * An additional patch series goes out for meta-angstrom.
> * This is a huge RFC which might cause serious impacts. What I have already
>  detected after a build from scatch is that /var/lib/opkg is missing in the
>  image (although it can be found in libopkg.ipk). I will spend the next
>  days with my new friend buildhistory (thanks for this!!).

I've looked at your changes and they does seem to be a good base for
further work:

* The init system ought to be a DISTRO_FEATURE (as sysvinit ought to be too
IMO)
* I'd like to see sysvinit packages splitted onto ${PN}-sysvinit as well
* I'd use rootfs generation to install ${PN}-${INIT_SYSTEM} packages for
packages being installed

Thoughts?

Mobile: +55 53 9981-7854              http://projetos.ossystems.com.br