[oe] meta-oe post holiday patchwork cleanup

Peter Bigot bigotp at acm.org
Thu Jan 12 23:26:21 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 8:23 AM, Koen Kooi <koen at dominion.thruhere.net> wrote:

> tl;dr version: get your subject-prefix right
>
> Hi,
>
> I've cleaned up patchwork by marking every meta-oe patch as archived, minus
> the one Martin just sent.
>
> This means all the pending patches for meta-oe are listed here:
>
> http://patches.openembedded.org/project/oe/list/?q=meta-oe
>
> If your patches are missing, resend them using the method outlined in the
> README of the respective meta-openembedded layer.
>
> I'll include the meta-oe one below, since too many patches still don't comply:
>
> - ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> This layer depends on:
>
> URI: git://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core
> branch: master
> revision: HEAD
>
> Send pull requests to openembedded-devel at lists.openembedded.org with
> '[meta-oe]' in the subject'
>
> When sending single patches, please use something like 'git send-email -1
> - --to openembedded-devel at lists.openembedded.org --subject-prefix meta-oe'
>
> You are encouraged to fork the mirror on github
> https://github.com/openembedded/meta-oe/ to share your patches, this is
> preferred for patch sets consisting of more than one patch. Other services
> like gitorious, repo.or.cz or self hosted setups are of course accepted as
> well, 'git fetch <remote>' works the same on all of them. We recommend
> github because it is free, easy to use, has been proven to be reliable and
> has a really good web GUI.
>
> Main layer maintainer: Koen Kooi <koen at dominion.thruhere.net>
>
> - ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> The most important thing of that is the subject prefix. I only read emails
> with a [meta-<foo>] subject prefix on oe-devel nowadays and I look at
> http://patches.openembedded.org/project/oe/list/?q=meta- more often than
> oe-devel.
>
> So: Get your subject-prefix right
>
> And kudos to Andreas, Martin and Otavio for getting their pull requests
> right pretty much all the time.

While I appreciate that a blanket "throw it out; if they care they'll
resend it" approach is an effective way to deal with the backlog
resulting from an absence, I don't appreciate that in addition to the
time I spent crafting patches to improve oe-core and submitting them
(with the right prefix AFAIK), I am now expected to do so again.
Further, the archived discussion of one of my patches included a
request for clarification on how to address a licensing issue which
was never answered, and which now presumably never will be.

This sort of practice discourages people (well, me at least) from
contributing to this project.

Peter