[oe] oe-core license description practices

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Sun Jan 15 16:52:22 UTC 2012

Quick research.. Debian calls this GPLv2+... but I can find no corresponding
evidence to what was quoted in the Debian copyright file.

What I did find was the quoted piece from the _mysql.c:

> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
> it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
> the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)
> any later version. Alternatively, you may use the original license
> reproduced below.
>
> Copyright 1999 by Comstar.net, Inc., Atlanta, GA, US.
>
>                         All Rights Reserved
>
> Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
> documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted,
> provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that
> both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in
> supporting documentation, and that the name of Comstar.net, Inc.
> or COMSTAR not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining to
> distribution of the software without specific, written prior permission.
>
> COMSTAR DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE,
> INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS, IN NO
> EVENT SHALL COMSTAR BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR
> CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF
> USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR
> OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR
> PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

and the comment in the README file:

> License
> -------
>
> GPL or the original license based on Python 1.5.2's license.
>

> :Author: Andy Dustman <andy at dustman.net>
> :Revision: $Id: README 641 2010-02-25 21:28:13Z kylev $

Based on the above, I'd call it GPLv2+ due to the one file having a specific
license statement, and a compatible but nebulous license statement in the
README.  I found no other license statements anywhere in the package.

--Mark