[oe] Splitting meta-oe

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Wed Jan 25 12:48:11 UTC 2012

Hi all,

The meta-oe layer [1] is becoming the home for additional recipes that we miss
from OE-Classic that don't have another obvious layer to go into, and this is
a good thing. However I think that meta-oe is already in a state where quite a
few people feel the new structure is not working for them.

As I see it, meta-oe is trying provide the following:

 1) Additional recipes that are not in OE-Core

 2) Additional functionality for OE-Core recipes that we can't enable in OE-
Core itself (e.g. enabling postgres support in Qt) - mostly just a side-effect
of #1

 3) A place to preserve old versions of recipes that have been removed from
OE-Core in favour of newer versions

 4) Newer less-well tested versions of recipes

I think what most people want when they enable meta-oe in their layer
configuration is #1, and it's probably OK to get #2 along with it. They do not
however expect versions of toolchains, eglibc or other fairly fundamental bits
and pieces that might cause their build to fail when everything worked fine
just building with OE-Core (#4). Equally I expect there will be some people
who want just #3 and nothing else.

I understand there is significant value in providing all of these things, I
just think we shouldn't be trying to do them all in one largely indivisible
layer. In our new layer structure we should be able to find a way to split the
metadata so that people who want any combination can still have what we have
in meta-oe today, and yet those who just want one of them don't get unexpected
build failures or older/newer versions being built.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Paul

[1] http://cgit.openembedded.org/meta-openembedded/tree/meta-oe