[oe] Splitting meta-oe

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 23:28:48 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 10:39 AM, Paul Eggleton
<paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 January 2012 09:49:14 Khem Raj wrote:
>> meta-oe was started to fill in gaps that oe-core would have for
>> existing oe users  since oe-core will not have all required functionality
>> and so distros could migrate to using oe-core and not loose the bells and
>> whistles they already have.
>
> Sure, that's totally reasonable. I think we've built up some experience in the
> time we've had so far that we can apply in order to improve the structure a
> little though.
>
>> Plus its an umbrella layer which has many layers underneath.
>
> To save confusion, I speak only of the meta-oe layer within the meta-
> openembedded repository. The meta-openembedded repository itself is not a
> layer of any kind, only the directories within it are. (I really wish we had
> chosen an entirely distinct name for the repository, but I guess that ship has
> sailed.)
>
>> However the problems it sees right now are that there are pieces which
>> could be considered distro specific and ones, the new untested recipes should
>> not be an issue if they are pinned properly.
>
> So there ought not to be too much distro-specific in meta-oe; obviously there
> is some at the moment due to the small number of distros actively using it.
>
> Unfortunately this pinning (I assume you mean PREFERRED_VERSION_) can only
> really occur within a distro that already includes meta-oe, and then you need
> to buy into the rest of the policy that that distro provides. If you are
> starting only from OE-Core or your distro does not typically include meta-oe,
> it will have no such pinning.

oe-core does have policies see default* files under meta/conf
however anyone who is using oe has to start with some policies iow distro
if its a custom one or if its predefined one

>> recipes that move our of oe-core I agree should be hosted in
>> a meta-deprecated or somesuch
>>
>> I am happy to move out toolchain bits as well into a separate layer
>> under meta-openembedded umbrella
>> that will clarify it a bit and should not be a big hassle.
>
> Sounds great!

toolchain is nothing but an example of conflicting recipes here.

>> I think real issue people suffer from is 2 and the duplicate recipes
>> in meta-oe which has different configuration
>> in oe-core.
>
> I agree these do need to be well-justified, and should avoid being just
> manifestations of distro policy. These are gradually being ironed out where
> appropriate, we just need to continue with this process.

yes this area needs some attention and I would request everyone to
clean this bit.

>> So meta-oe meta-toolchain meta-deprecated could be created now we need
>> to find maintainer for these layers.
>
> It might be a bit presumptuous but I would nominate you for the toolchain
> layer ;) since you more or less maintain the recipes that would go in it
> already. (I guess meta-toolchain probably isn't the best name since that
> already means something in OE.)

I think right now eglibc 2.12 is one of deprecated recipes that moved
into meta-oe
and I know angstrom currently depends on it. Sometimes if there are no more than
one layer who depends on a deprecared recipe it might be better to
move it to that layer itself.
so some careful decision would be involved when moving them around.
meta-deprecated may sound
like deprecated but it should actually be a maintained layer.

> As for the other layers I would be happy to assist Koen in maintaining them if
> he would like, but I think he's been doing a fine job with meta-oe already.
>
>> All said if it was possible to handpick versions from layers and use
>> bitbake -g output pn-depends.dot
>> to generate some manifest so indicate which recipe is being picked
>> from a set of recipes from different layers would be helpful.
>> since there always will be some duplicate recipes no matter what.
>
> The bitbake-layers tool is supposed to help at least with the reporting side
> of this, and it does report where bbappends exist and recipes have been
> overlayed. Right now however it does not report anything if a recipe is
> overlayed but the version number is different; I'm looking into fixing that at
> the moment. BTW I'd appreciate feedback on bitbake-layers as I've not had a
> lot since it was extended - feature requests welcome.

hmm I have not used it but I will try. Its I think very important that
user knows
which recipe it feeding into the build. Especially when there are
multiple recipes
in the layers he/she is using. Second thing would be .bbappends as to
how the recipe
was bbappended.

> As an aside, we also still have to consider Richard's proposal for version-
> independent bbappends (i.e. using % as a wildcard in the file name). I don't
> think anyone responded to that yet.

We should discuss that in separate thread.