[oe] Splitting meta-oe

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 09:02:45 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 06:33:13PM +0100, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
> I like the idea of putting toolchains in a layer.
>
> Wrt DP = -1:
> I feel if a recipe needs DP = -1 it is not good enough to be added to
> meta-oe. Probably it is more something for an unstable layer.
> (and DP = -1 encourages the growth of deadwood; I still recall in OE that
> there were some recipes that had the last 3 or 4 versions all with DP = -1;
> let's try to avoid this in oe-core/meta-oe)

I'm not proposing to stash multiple versions of same recipe with D_P in
same layer.

What I'm missing is use-case when for example with libsoup-2.4 I'm
adding unstable version, because actually webkit-efl has random runtime
crashes with stable version, but works better with unstable one.

So I want to be able to add recipe with D_P = -1 which would say, that
this recipe is not used unless someone really wants and adds P_V to his
layer to get it (I guess people using browsers based on webkit-efl).

But right now it will pick this unstable version from meta-oe by default
and you have to add P_V for that stable version in oe-core (and keep it
up2date as long as stable version in oe-core is updated).

And I guess the same use-case D_P should be used for all "not so well
tested" or "deprecated" recipes in meta-oe or any other layer.

Even if there is meta-deprecated layer.. I guess nobody would prefer all
deprecated recipes, but just some of them (ideally by pinning them with
P_V).

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com