[oe] Proposal: Creating meta-networking

Firago Alexey Alexey_Firago at mentor.com
Mon Jul 23 13:02:15 UTC 2012

Hi all,

On 6/15/2012 8:15 AM, Joe MacDonald wrote:
> We've been talking about this on-and-off at Wind River for a while now,
> but it now seems like a reasonable time to bring a proposal to the OE
> community at large.  We're thinking about creating a new layer to house
> recipes, etc.  for networking packages.
> So what does everyone think?  Awesome idea?  Terrible idea?  (Hopefully)
> something in between?  All feedback is welcome.

I think creating software support layer for network related packages is
good idea.
We've updated some of the recipes from OE Classic mentioned above for
our projects at Mentor Graphics.
We've been thinking to place these updated recipes in meta-oe layer. But
I think now that separate layer like meta-networking
would be much more suitable place.  Also we've created some new packages
like mipv6-umip or multipath-tools
that are good candidates for being placed in meta-networking.

So, I suggest Mentor Graphics would contribute to meta-networking.

--
Alexey Firago**|Software Engineer, Embedded Systems Division, Mentor
Graphics