[oe] Understanding what qemuppc emulates and getting it to emulate a ppc440 CPU

Elvis Dowson elvis.dowson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 09:07:12 UTC 2012

Hi,
      I'd like some help understanding what qemuppc emulates, while building the using yocto core-image-sato.

I've originally built my yocto images for a virtex5 machine, and would like to test it on an emulator. The Virtex-5 FXT processor is an FPGA which contains an embedded  PowerPC440 CPU

Now if I specify machine=qemuppc, wouldn't that just be generic PowerPC CPU?

There are so many ppc CPU variants, like ppc405, ppc440, ppc603e, etc.

Can the yocto build environment be modified so that the qemuppc emulator emulates at least the ppc440 CPU subset?

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson