[oe] LAMP layer

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Wed Jun 27 14:05:08 UTC 2012

Hi all,

In conjunction with the folks at Wind River I'm currently in the process of
putting together a layer to support the traditional LAMP stack, and wanted to
solicit some opinions on how this might be structured/named/etc.

I think we have the "L" pretty much covered ;) and we have MySQL in meta-oe
(I'm not convinced that's where it should stay, although perhaps it need not
be tied to this layer either). So the layer would at the very least be adding
Apache and PHP, with the possibility of web-related python and perl recipes
being added at a later date.

Some of the other things I'm looking at adding more immediately:

* collectd
* mysql-connector-odbc
* phpMyAdmin
* unixODBC
* xdebug

The question of how this should all be structured is still not fully
determined. I'm thinking this ought to be at least one additional layer (i.e.
meta-lamp, or some other name), even in the face of the proposed meta-
networking, since the number of recipes in the LAMP layer is likely to grow
over time and it's a specific set of functionality that people would explicitly
select.

I now have updated apache and modphp recipes building and working reasonably
well, although further testing will be needed. Initially I'm prepared to
maintain these recipes, however if not immediately at some point in the near
future it would be good to see a maintainer step forward with more specific
knowledge of these particular pieces of software.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Paul

--