[oe] New meta-xen layer

Raymond Danks ray.danks at se-eng.com
Wed Jun 27 17:54:20 UTC 2012

Thanks very much for the feedback.

On 06/22/2012 06:04 PM, Khem Raj wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 2:12 PM, Raymond Danks<ray.danks at se-eng.com>  wrote:
>> I have constructed a layer for the purpose of building Xen in OpenEmbedded.
>>   Xen is a hypervisor and associated tools running on Linux available as a
>> package in distributions such as Ubuntu and Fedora.  It is also modified and
>> included in the rpm-based Xen Cloud Platform distribution and Citrix
>> XenServer.
>>
>> This layer currently includes recipes and recipe modifications for building
>> xen, libvirt, and a minimal xen image that may be used for launching virtual
>> machines via the xl command line interface.  This currently targets the x86
>> Xen host (OE target) architecture; development has been done entirely on
>> x86_64.
>>
>> I'm open to receiving feedback, patches and suggestions.  Also, I'm curious
>> if this layer may be published to the OpenEmbedded layer index and by what
>> process that should be achieved?
> thanks for doing it and publishing it for community.
> looks pretty good from very quick look at the content
>
>   recipes-core/initscripts/ has .swp file committed.
Got it.
> NATIVE_INSTALL_WORKS is probably not needed in recipes
OK.  I didn't realize that was depreciated.
> use oe_runmake instead of ${MAKE}
Right.  Got it.
> in some recipes you cache ac_cv_* vars you could use
> CACHED_CONFIGUREVARS variable to contain them all instead of putting
> them into EXTRA_OECONF
I didn't notice this method.  Thanks for the pointer.

> One think I am not sure is of is distro/minimal.conf in there. I dont
> know if you want to have your own distro or not if you do it would be
> nice to separate that out that way other distros can also use this
> layer if they want to.
I've removed it.  I'll take a look at the other distros and see if there
is an appropriate place to store this configuration elsewhere.

> As long as you maintain the layer in good shape and in alignment with
> other layers you depend on its should be fine and please add the entry
> into LayerIndex on wiki
Yes.  And thanks Paul for adding it.  This looks good.