[oe] remove dbg and dev packages

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Mon Mar 19 15:54:17 UTC 2012

On 3/16/12 3:54 AM, Jaap de Jong wrote:
> Hi!
>
> is there an option (in local.conf?) to not build (or not add to the
> repository of) the dbg and dev packages?

You have to build the dev packages, otherwise you can't (cross) compile the
software in the development environment.

The dbg packages are optional, but if you disable them then things may or may
not be stripped and the filesizes on the target may increase.  (It's been a
while since I tried it w/o dbg packages...)

Is there a reason why you don't want the dev and dbg packages to be generated?
They should only be installed onto a target filesystem if you've requested them
(or a package has a dependency on them).  Normal, non-dev, filesystems shouldn't
be installed any of those components... if they are, there is a packaging bug in
something.

See the meta/conf/local.conf.sample.extended:

# Uncomment this to disable the split of the debug information into -dbg files
# INHIBIT_PACKAGE_DEBUG_SPLIT = "1"

(There are also other settings to control the specific mechanisms of the package
split.. "debian" style or "fedora" style...)

--Mark