[oe] Provide a master/setup layer - best practice?

Radoslav Kolev radoslav at kolev.info
Wed May 9 20:13:13 UTC 2012

Hi,

I've been working on making a BSP layer for the new imx233-Olinuxino
board based on oe-core and meta-fsl-arm. Now I want to provide an
easy, one/two step process for people to get started.

1. Clone a git repo containing config files and pointers to all the
needed layers.
2. Press a big red button (typing a shell command will also suffice)

I've seen numerous approaches mixing in different ratios makefiles,
git submodules and custom scripts. I'm talking about the Angstron
setup scripts, slugos-setup, shr-makefile, kergoth/oe-core-template
etc.

There's also the combo-layer script in oe-core scripts dir, which I
haven't seen in use anywhere. I spent some time trying to use it, but
can't say it was a straightforward process.

It seems like there's some "reinventing the wheel" going on.  What
would be your advice for the best approach and starting point in this
situation?

Best regards,
Rado