[oe] [toolchain-layer][pull-request] Remove old toolchain recipes

Thilo Fromm fromm at dresearch-fe.de
Wed May 16 11:07:50 UTC 2012

Hello Gary,

>> Hello *.*,
>>
>>> Khem Raj (3):
>>>      eglibc-2.12: Remove
>>>      binutils-2.20: Remove
>>>      gcc-4.5: Remove
>>

>> Removing gcc-4.5 would kill Texas Instruments DaVinci (dm814x, dm816x)
>> support. You only get a heavily patched 2.6.37 kernel from TI for
>> these (linux-ti81xx-psp_2.6.37). Unfortunately gcc>= 4.6 is unable to
>> build a kernel which boots for these platforms. After
>>
>> Uncompressing linux ... booting the kernel
>>
>> there is silence. We can reproduce this reliably on a ti8148-evm
>> development board. My best guess is it's because of an ancient kernel
>> being compiled with a very recent GCC.
>

> I build with GCC 4.6.3 from that tree for the DM8148 all the time and
> it works fine.  Maybe there is some option/selection in your configuration
> that's not in mine?  Can you send it & I'll give it a compare?

Sure! Our project is on github, and so is our defconfig:
<https://github.com/DFE/HidaV/blob/master/meta-hidav/recipes-kernel-bootloader/linux/files/defconfig>

We added aufs (Another Union File system) and the blockrom MTD FTL to
the kernel, so there are additional options in our configuration.

Thanks for your effort, Gary,
regards,
Thilo

--
Dipl.-Ing (FH) Thilo Fromm, MSc., Embedded Systems Architect
DResearch Fahrzeugelektronik GmbH
Tel: +49 (30) 515 932 228   mailto:fromm at dresearch-fe.de
Fax: +49 (30) 515 932 77    http://www.dresearch.de
Amtsgericht: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 130120 B
Ust.-IDNr. DE273952058
Geschäftsführer: Dr. M. Weber, W. Mögle