[oe] [toolchain-layer][pull-request] Remove old toolchain recipes

Thilo Fromm fromm at dresearch-fe.de
Wed May 16 12:41:22 UTC 2012

Hello Gary,

>>> I build with GCC 4.6.3 from that tree for the DM8148 all the time and
>>> it works fine.  Maybe there is some option/selection in your
>>> configuration
>>> that's not in mine?  Can you send it&  I'll give it a compare?
>>
>> Sure! Our project is on github, and so is our defconfig:
>>
>> <https://github.com/DFE/HidaV/blob/master/meta-hidav/recipes-kernel-bootloader/linux/files/defconfig>
>>
>> We added aufs (Another Union File system) and the blockrom MTD FTL to
>> the kernel, so there are additional options in our configuration.
>>

> The only real differences (modulo the hardware/peripherals in use)
> are some of the kernel debugging settings.  Perhaps they are causing
> some problems with the newer compiler.  The diffs between our configurations
> are attached.

Thanks, but I don't think I will disable most of the debugging
features for now. We have e.g. memory leak reports by the kernel
memchecker in ext4. Given the pitiful state of linux-ti81xx-psp_2.6.37
in general I'm not willing to give up the little debug info I get.

> As Martin points out, the newer compilers can have problems with unaligned
> access.  I've also [sometimes] had better success if I disable
> OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE
>
> The only other thing I see is the kernel version & recipe used.  I am using
> the stock one from meta-ti + some platform patches.  Perhaps there's
> something
> else to look at.
>  meta-ti/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-ti81xx-psp_2.6.37.bb

We're almost using this recipe too. We just appended AUFS integration
and custom package management installer scripts for the kernel. I'll
look into -mno-unaligned-access w/ gcc-4.7 as Gary suggested as soon
as I am finished moving gcc-4.5 into HidaV so we can actually build
firmware again :)

Regards,
Thilo

--
Dipl.-Ing (FH) Thilo Fromm, MSc., Embedded Systems Architect
DResearch Fahrzeugelektronik GmbH
Tel: +49 (30) 515 932 228   mailto:fromm at dresearch-fe.de
Fax: +49 (30) 515 932 77    http://www.dresearch.de
Amtsgericht: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 130120 B
Ust.-IDNr. DE273952058
Geschäftsführer: Dr. M. Weber, W. Mögle