[oe] [toolchain-layer][pull-request] Remove old toolchain recipes

Thilo Fromm fromm at dresearch-fe.de
Wed May 16 15:03:22 UTC 2012

Hello Gary,

[ ti81xx-psp-2.6.37 defconfig ]
>>> The only real differences (modulo the hardware/peripherals in use)
>>> are some of the kernel debugging settings.  Perhaps they are causing
>>> some problems with the newer compiler.  The diffs between our
>>> configurations
>>> are attached.
>>
>> Thanks, but I don't think I will disable most of the debugging
>> features for now. We have e.g. memory leak reports by the kernel
>> memchecker in ext4. Given the pitiful state of linux-ti81xx-psp_2.6.37
>> in general I'm not willing to give up the little debug info I get.
>
> BTW, do you know if TI ever plans on updating the kernel?  2.6.37 is so
> painfully old...

This is subject to speculation. David Illies, our TI field application
engineer, keeps telling us that 3.2 will be supported "eventually". I
personally don't think they ever will - the commit history in their
public git does not look like anyone is doing any portage work. Plus
3.2, the version they keep mentioning, is starting to smell oldish as
well. I would very much like to see support for dm81xx in something
_current_, but it's unrealistic given previous experiences with TI.

>>> the stock one from meta-ti + some platform patches.  Perhaps there's
>>> something else to look at.
>>>  meta-ti/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-ti81xx-psp_2.6.37.bb
>>
>> We're almost using this recipe too. We just appended AUFS integration
>> and custom package management installer scripts for the kernel. I'll
>> look into -mno-unaligned-access w/ gcc-4.7 as Gary suggested as soon
>> as I am finished moving gcc-4.5 into HidaV so we can actually build
>> firmware again :)
>

> Good luck

Thanks, looks like I'll need it :)  By the way, we successfully pulled
gcc-4.5 in our layer and are building with gcc-4.5 on angstrom-v2012.x
right now. Since you're on 8148 as well, and in case you would like to
stay up-to-date on what we're doing, just check
https://github.com/DFE/HidaV from time to time.

Regards,
Thilo

--
Dipl.-Ing (FH) Thilo Fromm, MSc., Embedded Systems Architect
DResearch Fahrzeugelektronik GmbH
Tel: +49 (30) 515 932 228   mailto:fromm at dresearch-fe.de
Fax: +49 (30) 515 932 77    http://www.dresearch.de
Amtsgericht: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 130120 B
Ust.-IDNr. DE273952058
Geschäftsführer: Dr. M. Weber, W. Mögle