[oe] meta-systemd

Koen Kooi koen at dominion.thruhere.net
Fri May 18 06:11:30 UTC 2012

Op 17-05-12 22:18, Andreas Müller schreef:
> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 9:41 PM, Koen Kooi <koen at dominion.thruhere.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> Op 17-05-12 15:07, Andreas Müller schreef:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> happy to see this happen I have few questions on what is planned.
>>>
>>> In README is written:

>>> Maybe it is a misunderstanding but I would expect for contents of
>>> this layer
>>>
>>> * systemd.bbclass * all from meta-oe/recipes-core/systemd * bbappends
>>> for all recipes with systemd support.
>>>
>>> Is this correct?
>>
>> Correct. The bbappends will likely cause dependencies on non-oecore
>> layers, but so be it. We might need to set the unbreak-me flag for
>> missing bb files that match our bbappends. Unless people actually start
>> reporting the bugs they encounter by including meta-oe...
> Two more questions:
>
> 1. Has anybody patches in queue to fill meta-systemd? If not I would
> stand up to prepare some.

The ones I had don't apply anymore.

> 2. Any complaints against the original idea to RRECOMMEND *-systemd
> package as suggested [1] to avoid *-systemd packages in tasks/images.
> AFAICR this was NAKed because a distro-var was necessary.

That's a statement, not a question :) I've been discussing this a lot the
past few months (conferences, irc, jabber) and I think we should have a
distro feature for every init system: sysvinit, systemd, upstart, openrc,
etc. I'm not sure if those would need to be mutually exclusive or not.

And finally: let's not make a lot of subpackages for things containing only
tmpfiles.d snippets. Consistency is good, but don't go overboard.

regards,

Koen