[oe] window managers?

Cliff Brake cliff.brake at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 21:57:41 UTC 2012

Hello,

I did some looking into window managers in recent oe/meta-oe/angstrom,
and this is what I found:

matchbox
- is this still maintained?  Does not seem like a lot of new development.

xfce
- looks promising, but xconf did not build

gnome
- build problems

enlightenment
- builds, but got stuck with enlightenment_start.oe, no profiles
listed, so can't get through the initial dialogs on startup

twm
-worked, but is very minimalist

Questions:
1) any opinions on WM for embedded Linux systems?  For most projects,
we simply run a single full screen app, but a WM would be nice in some
cases.

2) any idea how to get profiles installed so that enlightenment can
start?  Is there any way to bypass this for a canned embedded
scenario?

Thanks,
Cliff