[oe] window managers?

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Mon Nov 19 10:03:50 UTC 2012

On 17 November 2012 21:57, Cliff Brake <cliff.brake at gmail.com> wrote:
> I did some looking into window managers in recent oe/meta-oe/angstrom,
> and this is what I found:
>
> matchbox
> - is this still maintained?  Does not seem like a lot of new development.
>
> Questions:
> 1) any opinions on WM for embedded Linux systems?  For most projects,
> we simply run a single full screen app, but a WM would be nice in some
> cases.

For a single fullscreen application, Matchbox is practically
"finished".  Nokia deployed it on several devices (770, N800, N810)
and their QA were ruthless.

At some point I should sweep around the OE derivates, old Maemo and
collect any outstanding patches, but if it's sufficiently featureful
then it does work very well.

Personally if I want a "proper" window manager that's also flexible,
I'd use Mutter.  Fast compositing and and plugin architecture so you
can implement any behaviour with it (GNOME Shell and MeeGo
Netbook/Dawati were both based on Mutter).

Ross