[oe] Debugging environment variable assignments

Søren Christian Madsen scm at majust.dk
Thu Nov 22 14:41:48 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to create an overlay, based on an existing configuration.
During my build, I get an error which I'm pretty sure is caused by FILESDIR having the wrong value, causing the "do_unpack" step to fail.

As far as I can tell, the FILESDIR variable is assigned using the following expression: FILESDIR=${@bb.which(d.getVar('FILESPATH', 1), '.')}, according to comments listed by the "-e" option to bitbake.

I inspected the FILESPATH variable contents for the existing (working) configuration, and my own. The only differences detected were 2 paths (correctly) changed to point elsewhere (I can post full details if that is required). But anyway the end-result in FILESDIR becomes massively wrong.

I speculate the error might be that FILESPATH is set to the correct value after the FILESDIR is being set?
The logs only contain the same info as shown in the console, which is not helpfull.

Is it possible to "watch" assignments to variables in bitbake? Basically I would like to figure out what lines in what files cause assignments to certains variables in what order.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions on how to debug issues such as this, as I'm a complete newbie with openembedded/bitbake.

Regards
Søren