[oe] Issues building tinyXML

Phil Blundell philb at gnu.org
Thu Sep 6 14:59:03 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-09-06 at 15:53 +0100, Jack Mitchell wrote:
> I'm failing to be able to build tinyXML which it seems is required for
> XBMC after it was dropped from their internal tree. The package just has
> a Makefile and all in all seems a bit sketchy at best. Has anyone come
> across an error like this before:
>
>     DEBUG: Executing shell function do_compile
>     NOTE: make -j 7 -e MAKEFLAGS=
>     arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-ld
>     --sysroot=/home/jack/Projects/poky-rasp/raspberry/tmp/sysroots/raspberrypi
>     -o xmltest -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--hash-style=gnu -Wl,--as-needed tinyxml.o
>     tinyxmlparser.o xmltest.o tinyxmlerror.o tinystr.o
>     arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-ld: unrecognized option '-Wl,-O1'
>     arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-ld: use the --help option for usage information
>     make: *** [xmltest] Error 1

It's using ${LD} where it should be using ${CCLD}.  This is, admittedly,
confusing since one would tend to naïvely assume that ${LDFLAGS} is
intended for consumption by ${LD} but that is not in fact the case.

I'm not actually sure that there are any places where ${LD} is the right
thing to use.  Maybe that variable should be deleted.

p.