[oe] Feature Developement vs. Stablisation and Bug fixing

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Sep 12 10:15:16 UTC 2012

Hi,

I know in the past this has taken some people by surprise. Both OE-Core
and the Yocto Project are aiming at release points every six months,
roughly October and April. In order to prepare for those there is a
period of 6-8 weeks beforehand which is aimed at stabilisation and bug
fixing.

We are now entering that window where we need to heavily taper off new
features and concentrate on the quality and stability of the release
which is scheduled for mid October. I'm not saying no new feature
patches will get taken but I will be asking questions like "why is this
being worked on?" and "shouldn't this wait until after release?". I'd
really like to see effort being focused on bugs now, not enhancements.

I know there are a couple of things which have been worked on for a
while and have been slightly delayed which I'd probably lean towards
taking (some offline postinstall work spring to mind). I was asked
whether I'd take a binutils update in a couple of weeks and the answer
is no, I'd very likely not as we're at the point we need to lock in on
the toolchain now (and major kernel version).

Does anyone have any questions?

Cheers,

Richard