[oe] [meta-systemd] base-files and systemd services

Holger Hans Peter Freyther holger+oe at freyther.de
Fri Sep 14 08:16:44 UTC 2012

Good Morning,

I am playing with meta-oe's meta-systemd and have one issue with the
base-files provided by Poky. networking.service and syslog (busybox)
fail to run as directories like /var/log and /var/run do not exist. In
my images/packagegroup-core-boot I am not installing the the "initscripts"
so I have no LSB service to initialize these directories.

Taking a look at meta-angstrom I found a base-files.bbappend that removes
the "log lock tmp..." symlinks and instead just mounts /var/tmp and /var/run
as tmpfs. In "recent" Poky/OE-Core the syslogd service started to write to
/var/log under the assumption that this is a volatile directory...

I wonder how I should move forward:

a.) Use a tempfiles.d/volatile.conf to create these directories?
b.) Install initscripts in my systemd image?
c.) ???

comments/ideas?

holger