[oe] experiences with images based on current layer heads

Andreas Müller schnitzeltony at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 3 14:02:35 UTC 2013

Hi,

when migration of systemd to oe-core turned to unbuildable I decided
to freeze my images and stopped further tests. Now that many issues
were fixed and we are close to another release I built my standard
xfce-based image based on latest layer HEADs. With this I face some
issues which I would like to share:

1. X sessions crash with OOM. This is reproducible by opening
google-maps with midori and changing to satellite view. In
Xorg.0.log.old I see only

| (EE)
| (EE) Backtrace:
| (EE)
| (EE) Segmentation fault at address 0x9
| (EE) BUG: triggered 'if (inSignalContext)'
| (EE) BUG: log.c:502 in LogVMessageVerb()
| (EE) Warning: attempting to log data in a signal unsafe manner while
in signal context.
| Please update to check inSignalContext and/or use
LogMessageVerbSigSafe() or ErrorFSigSafe().
| The offending log format message is:
|
| Fatal server error:
|
| (EE)
| (EE) Backtrace:
| (EE)

With old images only the process causing OOM were stopped. I did not
fully cross check but I have the feeling that OOM appears much much
more often than with old images. Sometimes x- session is closed
without opening an additional application.

2. Something with udisks/gvfs/thunar-volman seems broken. When
auto-mounting, the partitions cannot be mounted by label-name. On
plugging a memory stick I see in kernel log

| VFS: could not find a valid V7 on sda.

Same kernel works properly with old images.

3. dhclient.service does not start (this has never worked):

root at overo:~# systemctl status dhclient.service
dhclient.service - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)
          Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/dhclient.service; enabled)
          Active: failed (Result: resources) since Sat 2000-01-01
00:58:02 UTC; 7min ago
         Process: 177 ExecStart=/sbin/dhclient -cf
/etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf -q -lf /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.leases
$INTERFACES (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Jan 01 00:58:01 overo systemd[1]: Starting Dynamic Host Configuration
Protocol (DHCP)...
Jan 01 00:58:02 overo systemd[1]: PID file /var/run/dhclient.pid not
readable (yet?) after start.

I wonder what happens to networkmanager once this autostart will work...

will test further...

Andreas