[oe] Can a .bbappend introduce a different PACKAGE_ARCH ?

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Sat Apr 6 11:28:42 UTC 2013

On 2013-04-06 04:50, Carlos Rafael Giani wrote:
> Hello,
>
> assume there is package foo, which is normally not dependent on a specific machine. It is built with default, machine independent configuration options.
> But then I want to add a .bbappend to it, which add some configuration options that make it machine dependent (imagine something like --device=beagleboard).
> I then add PACKAGE_ARCH=${MACHINE_ARCH} to the .bbappend file. Is this actually okay to do? Or does it break something?

You can do this and it will work fine.

However, if your .bbappend file forces the use of any override
directories/files, I believe it will happen automatically. For
example, my BSP layers have their own network configuration files
which I do like this:

gthomas at zeus:/local/poky-multi$ tree -S meta-cobra4430p82/recipes-core/netbase/
meta-cobra4430p82/recipes-core/netbase/
    netbase-5.0
       cobra4430p82
          interfaces
          modem.py
    netbase_5.0.bbappend

2 directories, 4 files
gthomas at zeus:/local/poky-multi$ cat meta-cobra4430p82/packages/netbase/netbase_5.0.bbappend
FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}-${PV}:${THISDIR}/${PN}:"

SRC_URI_append = " file://modem.py"

do_install_append() {
     install -m 0755 ${WORKDIR}/modem.py ${D}/etc
}

This setup generates a machine dependent package.