[oe] [meta-oe] vim 7.3

Paul Barker paul at paulbarker.me.uk
Tue Apr 16 09:53:44 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I've had a look at the recipe for vim in meta-oe, it's currently a
full release behind upstream and applies patches to the 7.2 source to
get version 7.2.446. We have a recipe which provides mercurial-native
in meta-oe so we should be capable of pulling the upstream sources
directly from vim.googlecode.com. We can easily pull a given version,
I've wrote a recipe to build vim 7.3.875 which I'm going to update to
the latest version and look at testing over this weekend (it builds
but I want to do some basic runtime testing).

If I get this working and it downloads sources via mercurial is it
likely to be accepted? A quick grep doesn't show any other packages
using source URLs beginning "hg://".

I've also found that just installing vim doesn't give me everything I
expect, I also need vim-syntax, vim-help, vim-tutor, vim-vimrc and
vim-data. I think for most applications where people want to install
vim over using plain vi they probably want these extra runtime files.
Is it worth creating a package group to install all these together
and/or setting RRECOMMENDS for vim?

Thanks,

--
Paul Barker