[oe] [OE-core] OpenEmbedded TSC 8 April 2013

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 08:22:59 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 09:01:06AM +0100, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-04-24 at 08:43 +0200, Martin Jansa wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 02:47:56PM -0700, Jeff Osier-Mixon wrote:
> > > OpenEmbedded Technical Steering Committee
> > >
> > > b. document whitespace changes to the shell
> > > http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/Commit_Patch_Message_Guidelines
> > > http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/Styleguide
> > > https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Recipe_%26_Patch_Style_Guide
> > > => still need to de-dup these, need a volunteer
> > > ask for volunteers after 1.4 (jefro)
> >
> > Someone probably noticed, but all meta-openembedded layers are now using
> > consistent indentation:
> > http://git.openembedded.org/meta-openembedded/commit/?id=a45830a39bb47a9eab27980d52966226c9504ea4
> >
> > Can we reevaluate decision to keep styleguide promoting different
> > indentation for python and shell tasks? Otherwise we should mention
> > different rules for oe-core and other layers.
>
> The TSC talked about it and agreed a particular direction. Its clear
> that some people don't like the direction so they just ignored it and do
> their own thing anyway.
>
> This is the wrong way to go about making decisions and I'm extremely
> disappointed people are doing this.
>
> There were specific technical reasons I suggested we not do this. One of
> the asks of the Yocto members is some kind of stability, whatever that
> is. Whitespace changes like this are *extremely* disruptive to patch
> flow. I think its clear there are people out there using older versions
> of the codebase yet they pick patches off master and backport them for a
> variety of reasons. As soon as you get changes like this involved, it
> breaks their ability to do that. With the python change, there was a
> good technical reason we did it. Despite that I was personally literally
> backed into a corner and shouted at by some rather upset people last
> time this happened with the python change. I can see their point too.
> For changing shell, we don't have any good technical reason other than
> cosmetics. I've made this argument before.

Hi,

I'm sorry you feel that way about it, I'll try to make it a bit better:

1) it was discussed and acked by major meta-openembedded contributors
and maintainers:
http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/openembedded-devel/2013-April/044989.html

2) it was done just before we'll branch dylan, so that backporting issue
is only for people backporting over 2 releases (from after-dylan-master
to danny). And even if someone gets whitespace wrong in backport, then
there is no real harm, because as you say, it's only cosmetic now and
meta-openembedded layers were very inconsistent about it (tabs were used
only in minority of recipes).

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com