[oe] How can I make recipes conditionally enabled?

Erik Botö erik.boto at pelagicore.com
Tue Aug 27 13:56:40 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Martin Jansa <martin.jansa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 09:12:15AM +0200, Carlos Rafael Giani wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a question about a problem I've had several times in the past:
>>
>> if I write a layer, and add .bbappends, then the layers with the
>> corresponding .bb files become hard dependencies.
>> But lets say I want to write a BSP layer, and I add some machine
>> specific Qt5 patches. Now everybody who wants to use
>> my layer must also include meta-qt5, even when they don't really want to
>> use Qt5 anywhere. This is made even worse
>> if I have a dependency on meta-oe, which itself brings in a lot of
>> modifications.
>>
>> In short, I'd like to be able to make .bbappends and .bb files dependend
>> on whether or not a layer is available. The hard
>> dependency is fine if it concerns things that are essential in my layer.
>> But if its about optional things, it shouldn't cause
>> a build failure.
>
> BB_DANGLINGAPPENDS_WARNONLY is the magic word.

I also saw some nice use of inspecting BBFILE_COLLECTIONS in the layer
configuration done by Mentor, see
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-mentor/tree/conf/layer.conf#n9

Then you would place the files you only want to enable for e.g.
meta-qt5 in a qt5-layer directory in your layer. Those files would
then just be used if BBFILE_COLLECTIONS contains qt5-layer, which is
only the case if you have added meta-qt5.

I know meta-fsl-arm uses this for meta-qt5 bbappends.

Cheers,
Erik Botö