[oe] Yocto Dev Day Sponsorship Opportunity

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Thu Aug 29 13:45:10 UTC 2013

This is kind of short notice, but I'd like some feedback on this idea ...

So for the Yocto Dev Day before ELCE in Edinburgh, the Yocto Project is
looking for additional Sponsorship to cover the cost of coffee breaks
(and some other stuff, but these are the least expensive)

I'm wondering if OpenEmbedded would like to sponsor a coffee break.
Obviously, we'd need to do a quick round of fund raising to make this
happen. I think it would be a good way for us to increase visibility of
the OpenEmbedded brand and gives many of the smaller players a chance to
contribute to some of the larger Yocto Project costs.

So I'd like to hear two things from everyone:

1) Should we sponsor events when it makes sense?

2) If you are interested in helping sponsor this particular even, send
me a private email with amounts. If there is sufficient interest we have
access to US and EU bank accounts for money collection.

Long term, I'd like to get a more organized fund raising plan in place
and identify how we can support the needs of the project better. Some
ideas that have been tossed around over the years, travel grants for
people promoting OE, event sponsorship, pay for infrastructure
improvements, contribute to auto builder costs etc. Many of these are
being covered by volunteers working in the community It would be nice to
help them out.

I'll be semi-afk through Tuesday, but should be able to see email.

Philip