[oe] Yocto Dev Day Sponsorship Opportunity

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Fri Aug 30 18:19:59 UTC 2013

Hi Philip,

On Thursday 29 August 2013 09:45:10 Philip Balister wrote:
> This is kind of short notice, but I'd like some feedback on this idea ...
>
> So for the Yocto Dev Day before ELCE in Edinburgh, the Yocto Project is
> looking for additional Sponsorship to cover the cost of coffee breaks
> (and some other stuff, but these are the least expensive)
>
> I'm wondering if OpenEmbedded would like to sponsor a coffee break.
> Obviously, we'd need to do a quick round of fund raising to make this
> happen. I think it would be a good way for us to increase visibility of
> the OpenEmbedded brand and gives many of the smaller players a chance to
> contribute to some of the larger Yocto Project costs.
>
> So I'd like to hear two things from everyone:
>
> 1) Should we sponsor events when it makes sense?

If possible, I think so.

> 2) If you are interested in helping sponsor this particular even, send
> me a private email with amounts. If there is sufficient interest we have
> access to US and EU bank accounts for money collection.

If we're able to raise the asking amount then I'd be happy to put some of my
own money towards this.

> Long term, I'd like to get a more organized fund raising plan in place
> and identify how we can support the needs of the project better. Some
> ideas that have been tossed around over the years, travel grants for
> people promoting OE, event sponsorship, pay for infrastructure
> improvements, contribute to auto builder costs etc. Many of these are
> being covered by volunteers working in the community It would be nice to
> help them out.

Travel grants is a good one - not something I'd personally take advantage of
but I know it's been helpful getting folks along to conferences to meet with
other OE community members in the past. We've also had some infrastructure
concerns over the last year or so but I don't know if it's money that's really
the big problem there - seems to be more about people's time.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton