[oe] build dependency cycles in openembedded

Johannes Schauer j.schauer at email.de
Mon Feb 18 16:53:51 UTC 2013

Hi,

Quoting Takeshi Hamasaki (2013-02-18 16:07:36)
> Before continuing to write reply,
> I want to make sure about the usage of the word "native":
>
> in OpenEmbedded recipe, let's say, when you work on a x86-64 system to build
> for target system which has ARM architecture,
>
> if you want to borrow a xz tool from x86-64 environment: you can write
>  DEPENDS = xz-native
>
> if you depends on xz tool build on target environment: you just write
>  DEPENDS = xz
>
> Is this the custom you assume?
>
> What I had to find was the word "native" is used to point the target environment
> in [1].

The terminology can indeed become very confusing. In our setup we use the GNU
terminology for cross compilation.

       build machine
           The machine the package is built on.

       host machine
           The machine the package is built for.

In some tools for dependency analysis we develop (dose3) we also use the terms
"native" and "target". For cross compilation, native would be the build
architecture and target would be the host architecture. By your explanation
above, the terms seem to have the same meaning in OpenEmbedded so we seem to be
talking about the same things. :)

cheers, josch