[oe] question on App bitsize - need the same as the kernel (multilib situation)

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Wed Mar 13 16:27:13 UTC 2013

On 3/13/13 8:50 AM, Amy Fong wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 08:25:55PM -0700, Khem Raj wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 12, 2013, at 8:13 PM, Amy Fong <amy.fong at windriver.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It may be a combination of kernel ppc64 + userspace ppc (32);
>>> or kernel x86-64 + userspace x86-32.
>>

>> I think you to ship ppc64 C runtime at least and same is true for x86_64
>> and by bit size you mean machine word length right ? like sizeof(long)
>
> Uhhhh no, what I mean is,
>
> e.g.
>
> For userspace, if 32bit:
> root at localhost:~# file /bin/bash
> /bin/bash: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.34, stripped
>
> For kernel, if 64bit:
> (in kernel config)
> CONFIG_64BIT=y
> # CONFIG_X86_32 is not set
> CONFIG_X86_64=y
> CONFIG_X86=y
>
> Take for example, I want to run crash to do some kernel debugging, in this case,
> I would want crash to be 64bits.

...and with the userspace defaulting to a 32-bit userspace..  Doing something like:

INSTALL_IMAGE_append = "crash" will result in a executable that doesn't work.
So the user has to know they have to add "lib64-crash".  (Easy when it's
INSTALL_IMAGE_append.. not so easy when you have a custom rootfs that simply
add's "crash"...  How does it know it needs to add a multilib variant?)

Which is why the question comes down to, how do I tell the system that a
specific package needs to be the same bitsize as the kernel, and then how do I
get the system to select the "right" version of that package?

 From my experience that are not a lot of things in the system that have this
requirements.. but kexec and related do.

--Mark