[oe] [OE-core] State of bitbake world

Paul Barker paul at paulbarker.me.uk
Thu May 2 17:08:44 UTC 2013

On 2 May 2013 18:00, Paul Eggleton <paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 02 May 2013 12:30:59 Trevor Woerner wrote:
>> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 11:57 AM, Paul Barker <paul at paulbarker.me.uk> wrote:
>> > The recipe also has dependencies
>> > outside meta-oe (fluidsynth in meta-multimedia IIRC) but that's a
>> > separate issue.
>>
>> I've noticed that too. Shouldn't dependencies be contained within the
>> same layer? Is it normal from these dependencies to be spread out over
>> various layers?
>
> For meta-oe, this is unusual yes. In fact having checked recently this is the
> only case I'm aware of where a recipe in meta-oe depends on a recipe in
> another layer other than OE-Core, at least with no PACKAGECONFIG alterations.
>
> For this specific instance, it would be great if someone would send a patch to
> move fluidsynth to meta-multimedia.

Do you mean to move vlc to meta-multimedia so it's with fluidsynth? Or
do you mean move fluidsynth to meta-oe?

I think VLC wants a bigger overhaul anyway along with updating to
version 2.*. It has a lot of optional dependencies of which an
arbitrary subset seem to be enabled by default in OE. I'd like to see
the default be very minimal and have PACKAGECONFIG options to control
the rest. I'd like to take a look at it but unsure how soon I'll find
time to.

--
Paul Barker

Email: paul at paulbarker.me.uk