[oe] Please submit your unindexed layers

Carlos Rafael Giani dv at pseudoterminal.org
Tue May 7 10:49:15 UTC 2013

On 05/07/2013 09:24 AM, Iorga, Cristian wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> My opinion is that we can directly integrate gstreamer-1.0 into oe-core, as it does not replace gstreamer-0.10.
> I did not test this scenario, so I don't know if it's working, but I will do that and see how it is working.
>
> Regards,
> Cristian

I added support for dylan to meta-gstreamer1.0 . There are a few points
I'd like to take care of before or during an integration into OE-Core:

* it uses _prepend in various places; I was able to replace all but one
of them with prefuncs. The remaining one is populate_packages_prepend ,
and I just do not see how this could be turned into a prefunc. (And it
is necessary to use it, because do_packages_split apparently cannot be
used anywhere else.)
   I think prefuncs are cleaner, because they do not modify an existing
function. Also, if the indentation style changes again someday, prefuncs
cause less problems than _prepend does.

* Empty -glib and -apps packages are generated, which are necessary,
since the -meta packages depend on them. I think this can be done a bit
smarter, that is, make the -meta package depend on these only if they
are not empty.

* gstreamer1.0-omx contains a raspberrypi specific part, which is
enabled explicitely. If enabled, it makes the package machine specific.
It can be seen here:
https://github.com/dv1/meta-gstreamer1.0/blob/master/recipes-multimedia/gstreamer/gstreamer1.0-omx.inc#L28
what is your opinion about this? (Also, it is currently missing a
GSTREAMER_1_0_OMX_CORE_NAME setting , which is different for the
raspberry pi than for bellagio.)

* The recipes make use of PACKAGECONFIG to enable/disable plugins with
dependencies and some features (like Orc, or LGPL mode in
gstreamer1.0-libav). I also explicitely disable any packages that were
either not ported to 1.0 , or have dependencies without any known OE
recipes in OE-Core or meta-oe . This is best shown in -bad :
https://github.com/dv1/meta-gstreamer1.0/blob/master/recipes-multimedia/gstreamer/gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad.inc#L21
I explicitely disable to make sure plugins do not appear all of a sudden
if someday recipes for a previously unsupported dependency are added and
the dependency is built with OE. Unfortuantely, upstream did not add a
configuration option to disable all plugins with dependencies by
default. (--with-plugins works only for dependencyless plugins.) I
thought about patching configure.ac , but that would have to be done for
all plugin packages (-base/-good/-bad/-ugly) , and seemed like something
that involves more than a few lines, so I hesitated to do it. I'd like
to hear your opinion about the way it is done now in the recipe.

* Is it okay to add _git versions of the recipes to oe-core?