[oe] [OE-core] [RFC] Layers, PRINC and bbappends

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Thu May 16 08:59:54 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 09:29:48AM +0100, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> On Thursday 16 May 2013 08:31:33 Koen Kooi wrote:
> > The flip side is that adding BSP layers becomes a lot safer. I don't mind
> > adding layers. Adding layers is easy.
>
> For distros like Angstrom it is, yes, as I said above.
>
> > Removing layers is pretty much impossible, though.
>
> With PRINC gone would there be any other issue that would make removing layers
> a problem?

Does PR service really fix removing layers? I don't think so, if you add
layer and checksum of foo is changed AUTOPR is incremented, but then you
remove the layer and the checksum is unfortunately the same as what you
had before AUTOPR will go backwards.

PRINCs were doing this at least consistently and in reproducible way,
removing layer with PR service will cause only some AUTOPRs going
backwards (if there were other changes in between).

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com