[oe] [OE-core] OE TSC Minutes 7 May 2013

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Tue May 21 21:45:39 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 12:36:54PM -0700, Jeff Osier-Mixon wrote:
> TSC could chair it but make it a public IRC thing
> -> proposal: monthly IRC meeting to replace one of the bi-weekly TSC
> meetings, open to all
>  timezone will be an issue
> => think about for next meeting

I really like this idea, I think it will improve situation with:
status updates - people can watch it immediately on IRC, instead
  of waiting for minutes
lack of community input - easier for people to comment on issues or add
  to agenda when they see discussion about related topic
community involvement - seeing some AR discussed a month ago is too late
  to volunteer

> f. python 3
> hard to support both py2 and 3
> two issues: python3 on target, using p3 for bitbake
> don't think we can reasonably support both
> make the switch in the 1.5 timeframe?
> need to start informing people of it -now-..

p3-only looks good to me, I would be happy to help testing this and then
drop p2 from my minimalistic chroot. There are also some external tools
like opkg-utils (IIRC this one is 99% p3 compatible now, I can take care
of remaining).

> (9:32:11 AM) RP: For 3a, I'd agreed to provide status updates. I've
> now provided two of these
> (9:32:24 AM) Jefro: wiki page is not yet done
> (9:32:27 AM) RP: I'm trying to turn it into a habit
> (9:32:50 AM) RP: Did people like/dislike them?

I like them.

> (9:36:03 AM) bluelightning: it's worth noting I'm aware that some
> people have migrated recipes and then kept them in their own layers
> (9:36:35 AM) bluelightning: which is not hugely bad but it would be
> nice if they could send them somewhere more appropriate
> (9:36:59 AM) RP: bluelightning: any idea why they're doing that?
> Simply don't know any different?

For many recipes I've used meta-shr as "staging" area to test it on more
builders and probably by more people before moving them to meta-oe.

But it's also easy to forget them in "staging" area, when they just
work for me (as I have meta-shr always included) and nobody shows any
interest in them.

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com