[oe] [OE-core] OE TSC Minutes 7 May 2013

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Wed May 22 14:02:39 UTC 2013

On 5/22/13 3:31 AM, Andreas Müller wrote:
> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 9:36 PM, Jeff Osier-Mixon <jefro at jefro.net> wrote:
>> OpenEmbedded Technical Steering Committee
>>
>> Attendees:
>>    Koen (koen)
>>    Khem (khem)
>>    Fray (fray)
>>    Paul (bluelightning)
>>    Richard (RP)
>> Apologies:
>>
>> Notes: Jefro
>>
>> Agenda at a glance:
>>
>> 1. pick a chair
>> 2. new issues
>> 3. lingering issues
>> a. systemd merge unhappiness
>> 4. projects in progress - status
>> a. oe-classic recipe migration status
>> b. oe-core release
>> c. systemd into master
>> d. meta-oe appends/overlayed recipes RFC
>> e. 1.5 planning
>> 5. infrastructure
>> a. mailing list moving to YP server, in progress
>> b. oe.org flooded
>> 6. projects deferred
>> a. raise awareness of "janitor" list, QA "bugs"
>> b. document whitespace changes to the shell
>> c. raise ntp with the Yocto Project [RP]
>>
> There are three issues I would like to comment on:
>
> 1. systemd migration:
>
>  From what I see the only major step left over is to bury meta-systemd.
> The only appends found there are those for oe-core. I asked for this
> long time ago [1] and support was offered but...
>
> 2. indention:
> Reading between the lines there is some unhappiness on meta-oe using
> four spaces for shell and python code. I personally agree with Martin
> here because I have not seen a technical reason for shell requiring
> tabs so far. To me this looks like a style decision which increases
> the burden to submit for low-skilled people like me. Could somebody
> please enlighten me: For what technical reason do we need tabs in
> shell code?

(Background) When the spacing was decided, looking at the existing OE recipes
and classes, the majority of things were indented such that python used tabs,
and recipe (shell scripting) used spaces.  During the cleanup of the scripting
sections it was decided that the least impact to all was desirable.  Thus the
python-tab, shell-spaces convention.

It's true that shell scripts don't really care about indenting, so the four
spaces is just a convention that was decided on based on that.  The concern is
that if we go in and change the convention now, it's going to cause a lot of
potential disruption.

So the answer isn't that it's a technical reason, it's a community reason.
Don't rock the boat on something that is just going to annoy people and provide
no actual help.  So far I haven't seen a compelling argument to change the
convention BTW, other then (paraphrase) "I don't like spaces, and want to use
tabs".  (Note, when I write shell scripts, I prefer tabs as well..)

--Mark