[oe] [OE-core] OE TSC Minutes 7 May 2013

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Wed May 22 15:11:02 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 22 May 2013 16:49:25 Martin Jansa wrote:
> Using combination of tabs and spaces in the same file (and even on the
> same lines) is quite bad, because it looks different based on tab length
> and can show wrong indentation in case like 8 spaces and 2
> 4-character-wide tabs on next line (where author was seeing 18 spaces on
> 2nd line)
>
> It was acked by 2 TSC members:
> Koen:
> http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-devel/2013-April/09016
> 2.html Khem:
> http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-devel/2013-April/09020
> 3.html
>
> 3rd member of TSC and maintainer of some meta-oe layers, was aware of this
> change and wasn't complaining:
> Paul:
> http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-devel/2013-April/09018
> 4.html

I didn't feel like I had good reason to object other than what had already
been discussed. That should not be construed as me supporting the move. I now
regret not commenting further at the time.

The problem is we now have a split between how shell function indentation is
done in OE-Core and how it is done elsewhere, which as I'm sure you can
understand is also a suboptimal situation.

> When this was discussed about a year ago in TSC, the most important
> reason was complicating backports, you can read something about it my RFC:
> http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-devel/2013-April/090135
> .html Now close to creating dylan branch for meta-openembedded is imho best
> time to do this, not many changes from released dylan will be backported to
> danny, because people will start moving to newer release instead of
> backporting more and more stuff to old one (also resolving possible
> whitespace merge conflict it not hard).  Causing conflicts for merge was
> IIRC most important reason why my proposal was rejected for oe-core.

We've been through this with OE-Core. We do do a significant number of
backports and it has been painful when whitespace has changed. The TSC
decision was taken in order to avoid this.

> And TSC minutes which discussed it say:
> Reluctant conclusion: tabs for shell, 4 spaces for python.
>
> So please stop trying to show it as action of one maintainer who
> decided to go against TSC decision and to scr3w everybody.

The problem with this is that you've effectively added pressure on Richard to
change the the policy in OE-Core despite the explicit decision not to make
this change there.

This kind of overall policy change *must* be done everywhere and not just in
one place or even the majority of places. We shouldn't ever need to be in a
position where OE-Core says you must do one thing and meta-oe and other layers
say you must do the opposite.

Cheers,
Paul

--