[oe] meta-oe: libedit build failure

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 12:43:33 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 02:07:03PM +0200, Hans Beckérus wrote:
> Hi, I saw you were the latest person committing to libedit in meta-oe.
> I do not know if that makes you the maintainer of it, but regardless
> maybe you can help me?

I'm maintainer of whole meta-oe, but don't know much about libedit (I
was probably just fixing some issue detected in my verification builds).

> I stumbled into a compilation problem of libedit after shrinking down
> our poky distro in Yocto.
>
> | collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
> | make[2]: *** [tc1] Error 1
> | make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
> | ../src/.libs/libedit.so: undefined reference to `wcslen'
> | collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> I believe we no longer have wide character support in libc, but still
> libedit tries to compile wcsdup.c, which is a replacement function if
> HAVE_WCSDUP is not defined (from config.h). Problem is that the custom
> wcsdup() function tries to use wcslen() which does not exist either
> and configure was never given the. I think this is a bug in libedit
> since in config.h also the following can be seen
>
> /* Define to 1 if you want wide-character code */
> /* #undef WIDECHAR */
>
> So, wide char code should not even be enabled in the first place. I
> reasonable solution would be to add a check on this also before trying
> to compile a custom version of wcsdup(). Have you encountered this
> problem before? Is it eligible for a patch? Do you know how to file a
> bug report on upstream libedit? Also, if I would create a patch for
> this, should I send it to oe-core or is there a dedicated list for
> meta-openembedded?

Sorry I'm quite busy right now, I can only confirm that I've built
libedit few times last week for arm/x86/x86-64 architectures and it
doesn't fail here (but my jenkins builds are using pretty default values
not like poky-tiny or like you said "shrinked down version of poky distro".

Asking in openembedded-devel ML is good start and from your description
(without looking at actual libedit code) it really looks like bug in
upstream, so after checking with latest libedit you should report it
there as well.

I've added oe-devel to CC.

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com