[oe] How can I make my own program start up when my system boots up?

Journeyer J. Joh oosaprogrammer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 06:07:01 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'd like to know how I can make my application run during the system
boot-up.
The system I use is based on Qualcomm's LTE chipset - composed of MDM core
+ AP core.
The system on AP core is openembedded.
And I can access it's shell using adb shell on putty.

Now I'd like to know how I can make my own program starts to run during the
system's boot-up time.

I tried to add the execution command in /etc/init.d/data-init - at the very
bottom. And it worked!

But I am not sure if this method is correct or not.

I searched on internet but didn't find any good explanation for my case.

I found a pdf document [1]. And the right place I think is shown below.

8.26. Initscripts: How to handle daemons
> This section is to be completed.
> * update-rc.d class
> * sh syntax
> * stop/stop/restart params
> * samlpe/standard script?
> * volatiles

I believed this would be the one I am now trying to find but the document
remained this uncompleted.

Is my method - using /etc/init.d/data-init - a wrong approach?
Then how am I supposed to do this setting?
Do I need to use update-rc.d?

Thank you very much!!

F.Y.I, I can look at whole source code for my system. So I can change the
source code.
But the customer of ours cannot access the source code. And my question is
originally my customers question.. So I'd like to find a way which is not
related with the source code change. But if I have to, a method which let
me do what I want by changing of source code would also be welcome!

Sincerely
Journeyer

[1] https://pixhawk.ethz.ch/_media/dev/oebb/oe_manual.pdf

uname -a outputs as shown below:
Linux (none) 3.0.21+ #1 PREEMPT Fri Mar 28 15:27:51 KST 2014 armv7l
GNU/Linux
Linux version 3.0.21+ (user at system) (gcc version 4.6.3 20111117
(prerelease) (GCC) ) #1 PREEMPT Fri Mar 28 15:27:51 KST 2014

Journeyer J. Joh
o o s a p r o g r a m m e r
a t
g m a i l  d o t  c o m