[oe] udev auto-mount not doing fsck

Brian Hutchinson b.hutchman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 18:00:19 UTC 2014

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 12:56 PM, Denys Dmytriyenko <denis at denix.org> wrote:

> Brian,
>
> Be careful, with your eUSB storage device cold-plugged (available on boot)
> you may run into a race condition, if you initially mount your rootfs in
> read-only mode and then re-mount in read-write mode during boot. One of the
> proposed solutions:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.handhelds.openembedded.core/50124
>
> --
> Denys
> --

At the moment the rootfs is rw in NOR.  In the future I plan for it to be
squashfs (ro) with a union overlay that is rw ubifs for persistent stuff.
This is to help protect the rootfs from getting corrupted or accidentally
hosed up during an update etc.

So I could see where the race condition you mentioned could happen maybe in
that case but I'm not quite following (yet) how it could happen currently
in rw mode.  I guess you're saying there is a point where the rootfs could
be ro and so the udev rule has no mount point to hang the eUSB on ... If
I'm picking up what you're laying down ('if' being the key word :) )

This eUSB is intended to stay on the board at all times and not be hot
plugged ... but it is socketed (but board is buried in an enclosure) so it
could be replaced if needed by a technician.

I'll study that patch you mentioned more when I get some time (in SCRUM
meeting at the time ... joy).

Regards,

Brian