[oe] Where can I get a arm cross toolchain for oe-core?

Brian Hutchinson b.hutchman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 13:06:51 UTC 2014

Hi again Journeyer,

As always, there are more than one way to do things.  I generate various
platform toolchains for our application engineers by using bitbake to build
the filesystem image and then the sdk for it as in:

bitbake core-image-minimal -c populate-sdk (some of the early versions of
OE don't support the populate-sdk command but if you are using a fairly
recent one it should work).

This will make a shell script that will install the toolchain onto your
host machine.  It is located in your build/tmp/deploy directory (I don't
have access to my build machine at the moment so I can't get too specific).

When you copy over the sdk install script to your host, it will install to
/usr/local/oecore-i686 (name depends on your host) and if you are using
Yocto it will be in /opt/poky/1.x

If your apps are makefile based, all you have to do is source the
environment setup script (source
environment-setup-armv7a-vfp-neon-oe-linux-gnueabi for example) which will
set up the path and environment variables etc., then you should be able to
build your apps against the same libs etc., that are in the target sysroot
because the sdk you just installed on the host has the same sysroot.

So in a nut shell, that's how we do it.  It keeps the apps guys from having
to learn the bitbake/OE/Angstrom/Arago/Yocto world.

If you look at the Yocto Documentation, they have this ADT system for
building apps that is pretty well documented.

If you just google search "-c populate-sdk" I'm sure you will find a bunch
of examples and topics.

Regards,

Brian